Sunday, June 26, 2005

Another milestone in my professional career


After a roller-coaster ride at my previous employer (hereinafter referred to as “ABC”) I finally managed to start a new chapter in my professional career. This change is another milestone in development of me as a professional not only because of increase in my pay package (which anyways is insignificant and can be mathematically proved to be tending towards epsilon) but more importantly in terms of work profile.

My new employer (hereinafter referred to as “XYZ”) is one of the ‘larger’ investment banks in India and is part of a largest banking group in India. The most significant difference in both organizations is the in terms of work culture and ethics. ABC was a very small organization of a handful of individuals and I got recognition at there for the work I did. But then as everything comes with a pinch of salt, not many people realize the kind of games (especially the one called ‘politix’) which can be played in such places. The work culture at ABC was highly informal and I was part of the world’s smallest team that can ever be assembled. The system (if at all one existed) was flexible and got a lot of freedom to experiment and innovate. On the contrary, XYZ is part of the largest banking group in India, it has a distinct public sector image. Unlike ABC, XYZ has got systems and processes in place hence the freedom is limited to some extent, but then there are checks and balances to curb any malpractices.

I think my experience at ABC cannot be deemed as working in a professional environment, it can be at best considered as a working with a few individuals in pseudo-organization. I think the last two years spent with ABC can be best summarized as a part of a long transition process from an amateur student life to a professional career at XYZ. However, I was satisfied with the work at ABC and it was also exciting at times, at ABC I got exposure to the whole business cycle, which I could not have got in a larger organization. But then I often think that am I such a slow learner who needed two full years to learn this, I think its high-time for me to put my career on overdrive.

Sometime back I had made a conscious decision to say no to work beyond office hours, this has helped me in pursuing some of my other interests which I could not do otherwise. I believe being part of larger group would be better for my overall development in the longer run both as an individual and as a professional. But then only time will tell whether some of my recent decisions taken by me are forward steps towards pursuit of my objectives in life.

1 comment:

Osho said...

It will interesting to see how do you compare the two job profiles as well as their pros and cons in future, after having spent considerable time in XYZ.