Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Have I changed ?


Over the past few months, I have observed that more and more people have been commenting about me that I have become a "crack", "nerd" and/or "insane". Of course, I do not subscribe to such views and moreover on the contrary I feel it is the other way round about such "commentators". But then if you are a geek and a number cruncher (which incidentally is my profession) and you tend to believe in pure statistics then there must be some "iota of truth" in such statements. One great statisticians once said "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics!", I am forced to believe this great statistician (the great statistician was called B. Disareli).

However, professionally I have firm belief in statistics so I think there is a "mild" (could be an understatement by some standards) change in my behavioral pattern. I certainly believe that this change is more towards developing my thought process and has helped me mature as a person as well as a professional. I have been doing thinking over the past few months, I been trying to assign reasons to actions taken by persons and society, I am also trying to find patterns in such behavior. I am also trying to understand human psychology and as a logical next step to be able to predict their future actions to given circumstances.

It is certainly not the "commentators" fault when they make such statements about me, I can understand their ignorance about me as a person. Although there is change but not many people in this world know me well as a person to observe this change. The obvious reason for this is I am an introvert and don't generally open up with "public" at large. Moreover, for some people who "think" they know me better than "public", I have changed since my school and college days when people used to imitate me for my laziness, not I am quite active and was considered workaholic by people. In fact I walk faster than the Mumbai crowd swerving my way through the crowded VT station.

In terms of physical appearance also I have changed since my schooldays, I put on a scholarly spects, I dress up more formally for work. I still remember my college days when I used to wear the same old T-shirt, Jeans and bathroom slippers to classes, that also has undergone a transformation. I have put one picture (here) of my schooldays and another (here) one taken recently for readers to appreciate the change in my physical appearance. In terms of putting on weight I certainly have been unsuccessful in this respect (I am 54kgs by weight, which is "under-weight" by fitness standards of my height), of course my height has increased since the day I was born (in fact change is about 145 cms, assuming I was 75 cms at birth). But of course not many people comment about me in terms of physical appearance, so I think this could be irrelevant to the present discussion, but for the sake of completeness of the discussion it finds a reference in this post here (!!).

I think it is human to resist change, it is our inherent inertia of seeing things the same old way which our eyes have been trained and accustomed to. But I believe to constantly keep innovating is the way to improve and this belief in me has evolved over the period of last few months. I have realized to enjoy life one needs to keep learning new skills, keep improving on your faults and weaknesses, for which one needs to realize your weaknesses in the first place. I have been doing all this to understand human and society behavior so that I can understand what my weaknesses are and what I need to do to improve upon them. This aspect of mine which has developed recently has been perceived by others as "profound" and which leads them to think that I have traits of an "insane" person, but I belief it will help me develop my thought and intellectual process and eventually make me a better human being.

Some intellectual said "Change is the essence of life", I have realized the importance of these words and am trying to implement it in my life. Those "Commentators" who do not understand the power and importance of these words would have such opinion about me, but then for others it would mean a process of self evolution. I leave the reader to judge me on their frame of reference (interested readers can read my blog on morality here in order to understand what I mean by frame of reference).

Aski "De Evolutionary" "De Casta"

No comments: